Search Site

My Spouse Stopped Paying Alimony — What Can I Do?

When a couple divorces, the court may order the higher-earning spouse to pay some amount of monetary support to the other spouse, either during the divorce or afterward. Known as alimony, or spousal support, it’s intended to prevent one spouse from being disadvantaged financially in a divorce by helping the lesser-earning spouse to maintain their standard of living prior to divorce. It is more likely for marriages of longer duration and is usually ordered for a set period of time during which the person receiving support is expected to become self-sufficient. Courts will take several factors into consideration when setting spousal support amounts, including ages and health of the parties, education level and earning capability, work history and more.

But what happens when the person paying support stops making payments set by a court order? If your ex is behind in support payments when ordered by a court, your first step is to consult with an experienced divorce attorney who can help you seek enforcement of your support order.

The attorneys with the Carolina Law Group can advise you on your options for enforcing North Carolina support orders following divorce. Call our firm at 252-636-3737 or contact us online to schedule a consultation at our New Bern or Morehead City office.

Contact The Carolina Law Group

Quick Contact Form