Search Site

What Kind of Insurance Do I Need After Divorce?

Divorce Decree

When ending a marriage, there are a host of questions that need to be answered. One of these is how to deal with insurance. You may wonder whether you can keep the coverage you had during the marriage or you will have to start all over with the process of shopping for quotes.

These are five types of insurance that may be affected by divorce, and some can be addressed in the divorce settlement:

  • Health insurance — You can keep your health insurance after a divorce if you are on your own policy, but if you’re a dependent on your spouse’s policy, you may have to find new coverage. Options may include insurance through your own employer, if you have one, and state health insurance marketplaces.
  • Life insurance — The court may mandate that the spouse who is paying alimony or child support purchase a life insurance policy and name their ex-spouse as the beneficiary. The payout from a policy can replace these types of payments in the event of a death.
  • Car insurance — Married couples typically share auto insurance policies, but after a divorce you may need to get your own.
  • Disability insurance — One additional type of insurance that might be considered by the court during divorce proceedings is disability insurance. If you earn an income, you may want to consider having your own disability coverage, and if you depend on your ex to pay alimony or child support, the divorce agreement may require your ex-spouse to have coverage.
  • Home insurance — Most homeowners’ policies are in the names of both spouses. If you are the one moving out and you choose to rent, you may want to shop around for a renter’s insurance policy that will cover the cost of your belongings and offer liability coverage.

It’s always wise to consult with an experienced attorney about matters like insurance when facing a divorce. Their years of experience and knowledge of state laws can help you determine which types of insurance you’ll need to carry and when you should make the transition. The attorneys with the Carolina Law Group are ready to answer your questions and advise on your options. Call our firm at 252-636-3737 or contact us online to schedule a consultation at our New Bern or Morehead City office.

Contact The Carolina Law Group

Quick Contact Form